Air to Ground Panel Mount Transceiver
8.33kHz Airband Panel Mount VHF Radio
The A220 TSO version meets RTCA-160G requirements for use in strict environments. This A220 version can be used for a primary VHF radio in general aviation (part 23) class aircraft. The A220 TSO version is also accepted for ETSO approval under the TSO/ETSO reciprocal acceptance policy.
- For information on what qualifies as a Part 23 aircraft go to the FAA site.
- Environmental Qualification Form
- The A220 TSO version can only be serviced by Icom America Inc. All repairs or adjustment must be performed by Icom America as per the TSO approval requirements.
The IC-A220T is Icom’s next generation 8.33kHz air band panel mount transceiver. The long awaited successor to the manufacturer's celebrated IC-A200, which was hugely popular with pilots, is now TSO / ETSO approved* and available for sale. The new IC-A220T provides effective radio communication in the air and features a slim stylish design, bright white display, enhanced squelch control and easy installation for pilots.
*Further information about TSO/ETSO approval
1. The IC-A220T radio is TSO certified for a Class 23 (CS-23A) fixed wing aircraft - Normal Category airplane 1494 registered in the UK as of 1st Jan 2016. Following an agreement between EASA and the FAA, from the 2nd March 2016, each organisation now mutually recognises TSO/ETSO approvals for certain aircraft products, which includes VHF radio communications equipment. In Europe there is no longer a requirement for a manufacturer to separately approve a piece of equipment that holds a TSO; the equipment can be installed and used as if it has the corresponding EASA approval. Further details on the scheme are on the EASA website.
2. Click on ‘TSO Index of Articles’ for approval details and number for the IC-A220T.
3. An ‘Authorised Release Certificate’ (FAA Form 8130-3, Airworthiness Approval Tag) will be included in the box of the IC-A220T.
|Output power||8 W typical (carrier power)|
|Modulation limiting||70% (Maximum 98%)|
Less than 2μV
Less than 1.4μV
|Spurious rejection||More than 74dBμ|
|Audio output power
5W with a 4Ω load
60mW with a 500Ω load
Measurements made in accordance with RTCA DO-186B for USA version.
Applicable U.S. Military Standards
|Standard||MIL 810 G|
|Low Pressure||500.5||I, II|
|Low Temp.||502.5||I, II|
Also meets equivalent MIL-STD-810-C, -D, -E and -F.
- Mounting bracket kit
Rear Panel View
D-Sub 25-pin type connector
Rx Wx channels
|Mode||AM (6K00A3E, 5K60A3E)|
|Operating Temperature||-20°C to +55°C|
|No. of memory channels||20 regular memory,
50 group memory,
20 auto stack memory
|Power supply requirement||13.8V/27.5V DC (Negative ground)|
(projections not included)
|160×34×271 mm; 6.3×1.34×10.67 in|
|Weight (approx.)||2.2 lb|
White OLED Display and White Key Backlight
Operating information is clearly shown on the OLED display. The IC-A220T has a bright organic light emitting diode (OLED) display with a very wide 170 degree viewing angle. White characters on a black background clearly show easy to read operating information. With white key backlighting, the white OLED display matches in with a modern plane’s instrument panel. In addition, the auto dimmer function adjusts the display for optimum brightness, day or night.
Backwardly compatible with standard panel radio slot
The IC-A220T has the same dimensions as many previous panel mount radios such as the popular IC-A200. It can be installed into a standard panel radio slot allowing for a trouble free upgrade. The radio also features a standard D-SUB 25 connector on the rear panel. An MBA3 adaptor is available to convert to the radio card edge connector, allowing for further flexibility and ease of installation.
8.33 kHz Channel Spacing
The IC-A220T allows switching between 8.33 kHz and 25 kHz frequency steps in the menu mode.
Easy Channel Selection
Selecting any of the memory channels in the IC-A220T is really easy. The “flip-flop” arrow button switches between main and stand-by channels. The dualwatch function allows you to monitor two channels simultaneously. In addition, the auto stack memory stores the last 20 channels used and allows you to recall those channels easily.
Automatic Squelch Function
The new automatic squelch function detects the signal level and automatically adjusts the squelch level to maintain a received call. The manual squelch function allows you to instantly adjust the squelch level. The squelch test function manually opens the squelch for testing.
12V/24V DC Power Source
The built-in DC-DC converter accepts a 12/24V DC power source. The IC-A220T is easily installed in most air planes or ground support vehicles.
The IC-A220T has a built-in voice activated intercom function allowing the pilot to talk with the co-pilot via the headset. The IC-A220T has adjustable audio level and squelch control functions.
GPS Memory Function
When connected to an external GPS receiver equipped with an airport frequency database, the frequency data such as nearby airports can be transferred and made available in the IC-A220T.
• 20 regular memory channels with a 6-character channel name
• 50 group memory channels (10 Ch × 5 groups) with a channel tag
• Dualwatch and priority watch functions
• One touch access to the 121.5 MHz emergency frequency
• Side tone function for monitoring your voice with a headset
• ANL (Automatic noise limiter) function reduces pulse type noise
• Remote control capability
• PC programming capability
• Dial lock and panel lock
• Slim 34mm (1.34 inch) height can be installed in a limited panel space
• D-Sub 25-pin industry standard connector for easy installation
• Two types of menu mode; settings menu and configuration menu
- IC-A220TSO unit
- Mounting Bracket Kit
- D-SUB 25-pin type connector
- Operation Manual
- Installation Guide
No customer reviews for the moment.